Monday, January 10, 2011

1A: Who influences me as a creative person?

Here are some things that I do which could categorize me as a creative person. I enjoy playing music instruments such as the guitar and drums. I like to make short videos. I don't like algebra.

These next two guys I am going to introduce are two of the most inspiring people to me.

Tim Heidecker
Eric Wareheim

I originally wanted to study game design and animation until the day I was introduced to these two gents. From then on I have wanted to study video production. They have their own unique sense of humor which is portrayed through their work and I can't get enough of it. It's funny though because before I even knew about them, me and a couple of my friends were already making videos with the same type of humor if you will. So when I saw these guys I was immediately in love. It also made me think that if these two could be successful doing this type of stuff, so could I.



Here is one of my favorite short films they created:


In this video Tim and Eric use a lot of subtext through the use of irony to provide comedy through the short film. Eric plays a 26 year old that lives with his stepfather, played by Tim. Throughout the film Tim and Eric are getting ready to perform for the cover shoot of a magazine named, "Father and Son." This magazine is supposed to be for little children and their fathers, so the fact that Eric is 26 and trying to get on the cover provides humor through the show. There is also use of tension and release. For example, Tim gets a phone call from his friend saying that one of Tim's ex girlfriends had a kid which was proven to be his. Tim brings his new son home and Eric becomes jealous of him. Because of this, Eric bring the new son of the family to a cliff where they can look at gliders. When they get Eric's character becomes enraged with hate toward the new son and he throws him off the cliff.


This is a montage clip from their podcast called Tim and Eric Nite Live:
The Best of Tim and Eric Nite Live from Tim and Eric on Vimeo.

Tim and Eric Nite Live is a lampoon of the tradition talk show. In the beginning of the show they announce a special guest that will appear on the show, such as Tom Cruise. They won't have the actual guess on the show, they will have someone that looks and talks like him instead. This provides humor through misdirection. They also provide contrast through the theme of each show. For example, they have a Christmas special, a valentines special, and an anniversary special. This makes the show more entertaining because it provides a fresh environment for the audience in each episode. This is probably my favorite of their works because a lot of it is impromptu and I feel like they are the funniest when doing so. 


This next video is a clip from their T.V. showed titled, Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!:


In this clip Tim and Eric fog and a crappy camera angle to provide humor. They also use text to provide humor as well just by saying "success." Their clothing along with their facial expression is an example of the type of humor they have. They like to use crappy looking 90's clothing in many of their skits. In this clip you can see this in the last scene when Tim is wearing a pair of woman's pants from the 90's. Also in this clip as well as many others, Tim and Eric make the clip so stupid that it is funny. I don't know if that fits into any of the binary terms or not, or if there is even a word for it, but that's what they do and I love it.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment